Off to the beach at about 3pm for a catch up with friends and some nibbles. I brought a nice rock melon but also some popcorn. Yes you can make pop corn that is not greasy (full of butter, sugar, salt...)! Had to resist the free lemon ice tea they were sampling and also the other nibbles that were around. I did try the dried bananas. Yummy.
Dinner was another detox juice - getting sick of them ;-) and the leftover braised red cabbage and cherries as dessert. Wasn't that hungry. Or maybe I felt like nibbling on something - some more almond nuts with a ginger tea.
Right the cravings are there - I am making pizza this week, no doubt about it. I will definitely have bread and cheese, but also eggs. And I will also have a good piece or meat. Will I be detox free? No, I even wasn't last week - living in the city --- doh!
Will I go overboard next week? Well, I try not to but cant promise anything ;-)
So you probably ask yourself, was it worth doing this? Yes and for multiple reasons.
- I realised how much processed food we actually have - even the healthy options contain preservatives, additives, colouring agents you name it.. and of course sugar and or salt. Hopefully I will choose the healthier options.
- I also felt good about giving my body a break for a week - no meat, no dairy, no sugar, no eggs, no fuzzy drinks, no processed foods - I don't think it hurted my body at all.
- And the best thing - if you actually are prepared for it - it is actually not as hard as you would think. I did have heaps of fruit and veggies and lots of inspiring recipes. Nuts - lots of them on the side and you cant go wrong - at least IF you have the will to actually stick to it.
- Last but not least... Did I loose weight...? Well yes I did - I think it must be between 3-4 kg (8,5 - 9 pounds) And yes I don't mind. A few people said before I started - are doing it for the weight? You shouldn't loose any as you will be skinny... hum, I have to say, I still look the same and don't feel skinny. I actually feel more towards my ideal weight than before so that's a bonus plus I still can fit in the same cloths. LOL.
Hope you enjoy the ride and maybe you are inspired, maybe not and that's fine too. With all things, if you do it within reason and don't go overboard - it's fine and sometimes - I believe - even good for you. So my advice, if you decide to start a detox - don't starve yourself with only juice - you will only feel miserable and grumpy, but also eat lots of fruit and veggies and nuts on the side, your body will take what it needs and you only will have to go for number one a bit more often than usual! Have fun and take care.
Congrats, Bas. Chapeau !
ReplyDeleteKeep us posted on your "week-after", not a blow-by-blow report like the detox (very inspiring by the way -> for side dish recipes :), but just a few of your outrageous choices next week :D
Cheers!
Nat
(3 more days and I'll be doing a special kind of "detoxing" myself -> no more exams !!)